Sunday, November 27, 2011

GAPS Diet Salmon Patties

I made grain-free salmon patties last night for supper; and let me tell you, they were a hit. I had found several recipes on a few different blogs that looked promising, but being true to myself, I can never follow a recipe to the letter. These salmon patties {or croquettes, as I grew up calling them} turned out crisp on the outside, moist on the inside, texturally pleasing, and gone by the end of the meal.

Here's how {and grandmothers, this is something else you can make for your precious grandbabies next time they come to visit!}

You'll need:
1/2 of a small yellow or white onion
1 Tbsp. butter or ghee or coconut oil or tallow or lard {pick a fat, any fat.}
1-2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. fresh, flat-leaf parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
juice of half a lemon
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 pastured eggs
2 (6 oz.) cans wild salmon {please get WILD...it's so much better for you} --or-- 1 (14 oz.) can wild salmon
2-3 Tbsp. fat of choice

Start by heating 1 Tbsp. of your preferred fat {as long as it's not vegetable oil, olive oil, or margarine} in a skillet. I used my cast iron skillet with great results. Then use a food processor to mince the onion into very small pieces. {This is how I sneak onion into food without complaints from my peeps.} Once the fat is melted, saute the onions until they begin to soften and turn translucent, about 5 minutes.

While the onions are sauteeing...

Put the garlic, parsley, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and eggs into the food processor and process until garlic is chopped and everything is mixed well. Add the coconut flour and pulse until it is blended. Let this mixture sit in the food processor, untouched, while you make sure there are no bones in your canned salmon. {I have skipped this step before, and my croquettes turned out very coconut-y. I think the coconut flour absorbed the moisture from the eggs and loses its coconut flavor and texture, so let it sit 3-4 minutes!}

Add the sauteed onions and salmon to your food processor and pulse until everything is incorporated. Then melt your 2-3 Tbsp. fat of choice {I used home-rendered lard from pastured pigs}in the same skillet that you sauteed your onions in. Drop about 2 Tablespoonfuls at a time into the pan and make patties with the salmon mixture. Allow each side to get brown and crispy before transferring to a paper towel-lined plate.

Using the food processor made the prep of this recipe very quick and easy. I only had one bowl to wash! We had our salmon patties plain, but if you're adventurous, they would be fantastic topped with fresh avocado or homemade guacamole. I'm the only one in my family who's in to that sort of thing.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Katy Scott said...

Thank you so much for the great recipe, my husband ate 4 of these patties in one sitting! I didn't have parsley, so I subbed a small handful of fresh spinach leaves, and it turned out delicious, I wouldn't change a thing. You couldn't even tell that there were veggies hidden in it. I am sure we will make this often from now on!

Lindsey said...

Katy, thank you for your comment! I'm so happy these turned out for you too!

theoates said...

I used 3 cans of wild albacore...probably should have went to 3 eggs because of the extra fish. But it was sooo yummy paired with romaine spears, homemade mayo, and guacamole!! Thanks for the recipe.