Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lindsey's Lazy Lasagna

I have been making this lasagna for six or seven years now, and it has been a family favorite ever since the first time I made it. I received the recipe from a long-ago friend and have adapted it over the years to fit our tastes and to up the nutrition considerably from the original. I love it for several reasons: no pre-cooking noodles and burning yourself whilst trying to handle them, no crazy sauce recipe that takes an hour to make, and the ingredients are easily found pretty much anywhere.

This is officially my husband's favorite thing that I cook, and it happens to be one of the simplest!













It really is the easiest, laziest lasagna you'll ever make!

I am putting a lot of my own notes in ( ) because this is how I've geared this recipe to be more homemade and less processed. You can feel free to substitute whatever you have, such as spaghetti sauce from a jar.

You'll need:
1 lb. ground beef (We use local, grass-fed beef.)
3 cups spaghetti sauce, or 1 (24oz) jar (I usually use leftover homemade sauce.)
1 box brown rice lasagna noodles (Wheat noodles also work well.)
3/4 cup cottage cheese (I prefer this cottage cheese.)
3/4 sour cream (I am not yet making my own soured cream, so I use this brand.)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (Freshly grated is best, but you can use powdered in a pinch.)
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp. dried basil

Here's how:
1. Start by browning your meat.
2. While you wait, grease a glass 9x13 baking dish.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, and Parmesan. Mix well to incorporate.
4. When your meat is browned, transfer it to your greased baking dish...no need to drain the fat unless you really want to dirty a colander.
5. Add the spaghetti sauce to the meat and stir gently to mix and spread evenly over the dish.
6. Next, press the UN-COOKED! lasagna noodles into the meat mixture. (I do a double layer in a basket-weave pattern, and I ALWAYS have to break noodles to make them fit the baking dish.)
7. Spread the cottage cheese/sour cream/Parmesan mixture over the noodles.
8. Top with grated mozzarella.
9. Sprinkle with basil
10. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
11. Uncover and bake 30 minutes more, or until the cheese is browning nicely and bubbly.



Variations and Notes:

  • Feel free to double this recipe, following the same instructions, for a deep-dish lasagna that is perfect for a crowd.
  • You can also add finely chopped veggies, such as onions, zucchini, and eggplant, to the meat to stretch the meat and boost nutrition. Your kids won't notice, I promise!
  • This freezes beautifully. Assemble it as directed, but don't cook it first. Pop it out of the freezer and allow it to thaw on your countertop. Then bake as directed.
  • I have taken this dish, along with a salad, to many a new momma, always with lots of compliments later!
ENJOY!!

This post is linked to Fight Back Friday, Simple Lives Thursday, and Monday Mania.

3 comments:

Becky Dietz said...

I can attest---it's GOOD!

Rashel said...

This looks wonderful. I have all the ingredients and was planning to do lasagna tonight anyway, so I think I will try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!
Blessings,
Rashel

Brit said...

Just wanted you to know that I cooked this for my family tonight and they loved it! It feels so good to cook something healthy that everyone loves. Thanks for the recipe! It's going in our permanent menu rotation!