Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Today, I'm glad I homeschool.

This morning, I am so thankful we homeschool.

We had a busy day yesterday. I got up early and left the house at 7:45 for a follow-up appointment with a new chiropractor I'm thinking about trying. He ordered some blood tests for my thyroid hormone levels and Vitamin D levels. This is a whole post on its own, but I have finally found someone who will listen to the issues I'm having and NOT shoot in the dark to find a solution. 

Anyway...I got home around 9:00 a.m., kissed David goodbye for work, and started my day with Ryan and Addie. We cooked breakfast, unloaded the dishwasher, stuck some potatoes in the oven to bake for our lunch, then began our school work. We finished school around 11:30, they worked on their chores, I loaded our baked potatoes, and we ate. Then David came home and we got on the road for the two-hour trip it takes to get to our orthodontist appointments. Yesterday was David's brother's birthday, so we stayed in Lubbock to hang out with him and his family, ate dinner, went out for dessert, and finally left Lubbock after 9:00 p.m. sometime. We didn't get home until after 11:00. At 3:28 a.m., Ryan softly opened our bedroom door and whispered that he had thrown up. (We've been grain-free and sugar-free for two weeks now, and we all cheated last night and ate both grains and sugar. I am certain that it didn't agree with his body and his body did its job and got it out.) 

On the way to his room, we asked him if he had thrown up in his bed, to which he replied, "No, I made it to the bathroom." "Oh, good," I thought. "No big deal, we'll just make sure he's brushed his teeth, stick the trashcan next to his bed, and tuck him back in." 

Then Ryan said, "But the toilet lid was closed."

Oh boy. Let's just not talk about how gross vomit is after eating chips and salsa, French fries, and a taco and then chocolate mousse. Let's just not talk about how it was splattered all over the toilet lid, the wall, the cabinets, and the lime green bath rugs. Let's not.

Anyway, it took David and I about 30 minutes to clean it up, then we headed back to bed, both nauseous because cleaning up puke is like Number 1 on my Least Favorite Things to Clean up List, slightly ahead of dog poop and kid poop in the bathtub.

After going to bed so late and then having our sleep disturbed by vomit, we didn't wake up until 8:40 this morning. Both kids were still asleep, and Addie woke up a little after 9:00. It is now 10:23, and Ryan is still sleeping. 

I completed my Azure Standard co-op order and ordered raw milk for the week from our farmer about 10 minutes ago. I just sent Addie into the kitchen to get a morning snack of grain-free banana bread. It's too late for a full breakfast anyway.

I'm sitting in my black yoga pants and a t-shirt, just so darn thankful that we even have the option to have days like this. 

Here's why:
Homeschooling has cemented the fact that our family is able to go on road trips, visit family and friends, and take last-minute getaway trips without worrying about absences, make-up work, or teachers frowning upon our family for being away so much.

Homeschooling allows us to spend precious, valuable time with family that we might otherwise only see on major holidays. Our kids are making memories and forming tight bonds with family two hours away on a monthly basis because we homeschool.

Homeschooling dictates that we have a schedule, but that said schedule can be tossed out the window for a lazy morning, a sick child, or lunch out with Daddy.

Homeschooling means we can have the rest we need if we had a late night the evening before or were wakened at 3:28 a.m. to clean up puke.

Homeschooling means my 8-year-old can still be asleep at 10:23 a.m., but will probably still get to lay in his pj's and listen to a history reading, a chapter out of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and complete a short math lesson. His school work doesn't suffer one bit because his school will come to him; he doesn't have to go to his school.

Homeschooling says my children get to go to work with Daddy this Thursday so that I can go back to Lubbock and help my sister-in-law learn how to make bone broth and a meal plan so that her family can begin their journey toward healthier eating and real food.

Homeschooling allows my daughter to mis-match her clothes, fix her own hair, or wear a princess crown during math lessons, and it doesn't matter one bit.

Homeschooling gives me permission to wear yoga pants, a t-shirt, and house slippers and write blogs about how thankful I am to homeschool. ;)

Do I look down on those who have chosen the path of public or private school? No way. (There are days when I wish I had a place to send my children to just so I could get a break!) But sometimes, just sometimes, I get the feeling that we have a lot more freedom in our lives because we choose to keep our children and their schooling at home. We'll never be able to go back and have this time again, so we're livin' it up while it's here!

If you homeschool and read this blog, would you mind commenting today on why YOU are thankful that you homeschool? 

Have a great day!


5 comments:

Becky Dietz said...

I had a feeling there was going to be puke clean-up in that story! ha!

amy wright said...

I'm glad that I homeschool for all of the same reasons. You just can't beat the simplicity.

Jabyron said...

Love this post! We homeschool for those same reasons. As a matter of fact, I have two kids upstairs right now listening to a Jonathan Park while I have had some time in prayer and have gotten breakfast ready for them. So thankful for the flexibility and Gods leading in all areas of our life. Blessings to you and yours!

Thomas and Jamie said...

Well - technically I don't homeschool...YET! But, these are many of the reasons I know I'll be happy when we do start! (Next Fall...2014!) woo hoo

dee dee said...

I don't homeschool, but I so resonate with this. I feel the pressure to do things when it doesn't fit our flow etc. Love that this option is available.